we’re Open

24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week

call us

Fighting for carbon monoxide victims

Understanding the risk of home appliances.

Defective Appliance Dangers: Carbon Monoxide Could Be a Silent Killer in Your Home

Most people have heard of carbon monoxide but do not understand how it can seriously impact them. Carbon monoxide is found in fumes produced any time that you are burning fuel in stoves, trucks or cars, fireplaces, lanterns, small engines, grills, furnaces or gas ranges. If carbon monoxide is allowed to build up in a small area with poor air ventilation such as indoors, animals and people who breathe it can end up dying.

How Do I Know if I’m Suffering from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include upset stomach, dizziness, weakness, headache, chest pain, vomiting or confusion. In many situations, a victim may describe their carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms as being like the flu. Most people do not connect the dots until other methods of recovery, like rest or over the counter flu medications, fail to make the condition better. Carbon monoxide poisoning can build up quickly, so it’s important to always be alert to the possibility.

Having a carbon monoxide detector in your home that you regularly replace the batteries for is a great way to ensure that you are alerted if there is a carbon monoxide problem. There are several different things that you should realize about carbon monoxide poisoning and how it can be tied to the appliances in your home. Having these appliances checked on a yearly basis by an outside professional can prove helpful to give you some peace of mind and catch some issues, but this is not the only step you should take to protect yourself.

Most Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Inside your home, it is important to be aware of any of the common appliances that could cause carbon monoxide poisoning. These include:

  • Gas powered fireplaces
  • Wood burning fireplaces
  • A clogged or blocked chimney
  • Gas log burners
  • Space heaters
  • Furnace
  • Gas range tops and stoves
  • Water heaters
  • Gas clothes dryers
  • A car running inside an enclosed area like a garage
  • Barbeques and grills

A critical step to take to minimize your chances of being injured in an incident involving carbon monoxide poisoning is to use a detector in your home. Even the best of intentions with checking your appliances does not always mean you’ll be able to identify and respond to problems. When you have a detector, however, you’ll be alerted to the problems right away so that you, your family, and any pets can leave the premises until you identify what’s going on. Having detectors throughout the home can help you pinpoint the affected appliance and prevent injuries or even death associated with poisoning.

If you or someone you know has already been injured in a carbon monoxide poisoning case, it is important to protect your rights and talk with an experienced attorney in the event that you may have grounds to file a personal injury claim against any of these responsible individuals. Carbon monoxide cases can be extremely complex and finding a lawyer who has handled these situations before is strongly recommended.

Free Case Review

Use the form bellow to get started

or call us at 877-327-4104